Friday, December 01, 2006

In The Beginning...

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day." Genesis 1:1-5 (NKJV - slightly modified by me =^)

So, this is like my life. God had this great idea: Wayne Shaddock! But then something happened. Just like with God's creation, sin entered the picture and all hell broke loose. (You may never figure out why God let it go down like that - but it doesn't hurt to try either.)

So I heard this theory one time that makes a lot of sense to me: verses 1 & 2 of Genesis 1 are not consecutive chronologically. In other words there was a significant passage of time between the original creation and the part where the earth "was void and without form". Makes sense. I don't see any other examples of God doing anything funky or chaotic. Something happened between verse 1 and verse 2 that messed up God's creation. Like the Church Lady says: "Could it be...Satan?!"

So in my life I often feel conflicted, chaotic, "without form and void". But I know the same God who said "Let there be LIGHT!" And there was and it was good. My Father in Heaven knows what's broken in my life and he knows how to fix it. But still I struggle with chaos. I get freaked out when I look at myself and just see a big void. I forget to look with my spiritual eyes. But when I do I see that God doesn't abandon his beloved creation to chaos and purposelessness. I just have to trust him.

His promises are rich and plentiful...and he is faithful!

For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. 1 Cor 14:33

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7

It's cold today and I'm staying home with my doggie, Gina. Tonight is Lisa's company Christmas dinner at The Chop House in Carmel...yummy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wayniac hi! Just caught up with your Dec email and read all of your blogs to date. You are so gifted as a writer. Bill really misses you and your fellowship and so do I. We love you and Lisa and hope to visit sometime this year. Still waiting for word from VA re:tort claim. Thanks for sharing your humor and inspiration with us, I could hear your voice as I read and thought I saw your face too til I saw the goatee at the end Much love to you always, Bill and me